Master Control Unit (MCU)
Thunderstruck's Dilithium Design Master Control Unit (MCU) is our newest offering for the DIY EV enthusiast. Combining features from our BMSC, EVCC, and Dilithium Display, this device controls battery management, charging, and display functions from a single platform. It has multiple programmable inputs and outputs and two CANbus interfaces. The MCU is compatible with J1772 Type 1 and Type 2 EV Supply Equipment (EVSE).
The MCU requires BMS satellites for cell measurement. This supports a flexible distributed pack design. The MCU provides two IsoSPI interfaces for connecting multiple 24-cell or 18-cell satellites, with capacity for handling packs with up to 288 cells.
The standard EV system using the MCU includes our TSM2500 charger(s), Dilithium Design Display (with current sensor) and Dilithium BMS 24-cell or 18-cell satellite units for cell measurement. Satellite installation requires a harness Test Board designed for the selected satellite - see the BMS Satellite page. This is an optional item. Please select a test board for your selected satellites.
The MCU also supports A123 Systems battery modules with pouch cells and MBB interfaces found in some retired heavy vehicles. Thunderstruck occasionally sells these modules. For this application, BMS Satellites and the Harness Test Board are not required.
The MCU has been designed as an expandable platform, with additional features planned for future upgrades. The MCU case is a 4.1 x 2.65 x 1.1 inch plastic enclosure with mounting flanges.
- Original BMSC and EVCC features including cell balancing and reporting, thermistor reporting and charge control
- J1772 support with auto-start. Compatible with J1772 Type 1 and Type 2 EVSEs
- Controls up to 4 Thunderstruck Chargers for high-speed charging
- Hall sensor input for current counting SOC reporting to Dilithium or analog display
- User configurable parameters via text-based freeware user interface
- Canbus control for Dilithium Design Display, Curtis Engage II, Speedhut
- Five programmable inputs and five programmable outputs - useful for sending and receiving status alerts
- 12v switched output for controlling an external device such as powered battery packs and relays
- PWM Output for driving resistive sensor analog fuel gauges
- Two independent canbus networks configurable for 250kbs or 500 kbs baud rates
- Two IsoSPI networks for Dilithium BMS satellites for up to 288 cells
- CANOpen and OBDII Support
Dilithium EV Display
- 3" touch screen graphical at-a-glance battery status and SOC display – MCU canbus controlled
- Hall type, for MCU display features - 420, 500 and 1000 amp current ranges (output to the Dilithium Display)
- BMS Satellite units with either 2x12 or 1x18 cell groups for a wide range of cells and modules
BMS Harness Tester
- Required for testing BMSS cell harnesses before final connection (smoke prevention)
A123 Battery Modules
- Used OEM modules with integrated BMS satellite units. Simple MCU hookup via canbus.
- MCU controls one to four TSM chargers over canbus for custom charging solutions
J1772 Type 1 Inlet Port
- Connects to MCU and charger for EVSE source control and connection safety
MCU Manual ** Updated August 2022 **
MCU Wiring Diagram ** Manual supplement December 2022 **
Charger Connector Diagram
Charger Troubleshooting Guide
Serial Port Utilities Installation
Putty Install Video
BMS Wiring and Testing Video
User Interface Software
PC only Software (Putty)
- this is a download from ThunderStruck's Google drive
Mac or PC Software (Coolterm)
- this link allows you to chose the download designed for your computer system
- Master Control Unit with integrated BMS, Charge and Display controllers
- Connectors (4, 5, 8 and 10 pin Harting)
- Wire release tool for connectors
- Low voltage wiring (4' lengths, various colors)
- 12v Light/Buzzer (for operator alert)
- 120 Ohm canbus termination resistor
- Harness Test Board (only if option is selected)
Does not include BMS Satellites, which are required for measuring cells.
No posts found