Eliminate noxious diesel fumes and the cost of filling up at the pump and enjoy your sailboat to the fullest with this DIY electric conversion Kit. The 12kW kit features a liquid cooled Motenergy motor, paired with a Sevcon Gen4 controller to produce a whopping 12kW continuous at 48v!
Customers have used this system in boats up to 15K pound displacement. It is liquid cooled - and can use your existing heat exchanger, or use our radiator, fan and pump - you supply the hose. Do not run saltwater through the motor.
All our systems have reverse on-the-fly and contactor disable features. "Brushless" means that the motor does not have brushes that will wear out over time, nor will it be a dangerous source of ignition for on-board gas appliances. In the U.S. and Canada, brushed motors are only legal for marine use if onboard appliances and accessories use kerosene or diesel (not propane or gasoline) due to the potential for internal motor arcing.
The reverse on-the-fly feature allows for rapid thrust direction changes without shifting. Aditionally, regen is enabled, allowing current to be put back into the batteries from the spinning prop while under sail. Regen effectiveness depends on your sailing speed, prop design, and may not be possible in all applications, but it is an adored feature for those who are able to use it.
Due to the high RPM of the Motenergy Brushless motor, we recommend using our 12-24kW gear reduction rather than direct-drive to improve efficiency, provide proper torque, cooling, and help prevent cavitation. Typical reduction is around 2.67:1, but this ratio will depend on the prop RPM required to reach hull speed. Ideal reduction will enable the motor to spin your prop at the hull speed RPM of your prop when the motor is spinning at its max RPM. The 12KW kit is programmed to spin at a maximum of 3300 RPM by default.
What batteries should you use? Most customers are happy with sealed, deep cycle lead acid, sourced locally to save on shipping. Use 4 in series to get 48v and 100 amp hour capacity minimum.
Those of you that are still in the "research phase" of your conversion should visit one of the electric boats discussion groups and talk to others who are doing or have already done electric conversions.
* Please describe your battery pack so that we can program your motor controller to match - then you won't need to ship it back to us. Minimum battery information includes cell chemistry, amp hour rating, overall pack voltage, series cell count and arrangement.
* If you choose not to use a gear reduction, a thrust bearing in line with the prop shaft is required, since most motors are not rated for axial/thrust loads on the shaft.
* Before you pull your old engine, support the prop shaft for reference so you can properly align the new system.
See the CAN Translator page for a budget display option
Included Components (may vary based on kW rating and parts availability)
- Motenergy ME1616 Liquid-Cooled Brushless Motor. Provide your own cooling circuit or use ours.
- Controller: Sevcon Gen4 8055 with regen
- Model 827 Display
- Throttle options - additional cost (see the Throttle page for more info):
- Sealed Main Contactor
- Liquid cooled heatsink included. May select heatsink, radiator and pump option. Also may opt out, but cooling is needed for this high output system.
- Key Switch
- Every kit is individually bench tested
- Complete wire harness with 10ft key and throttle cable lengths
- Wiring instructions
No posts found